Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Rays owner withdraws from plans to display the Montreal sign at Tropicana Field

Rays owner withdraws from plans to display the Montreal sign at Tropicana Field

NS. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The main owner of the Tampa Bay Rays is now pulling out of plans to post a sign at Tropicana Field during the team’s postseason games.

The sign would have encouraged the proposal for the Rays to split their season between the Tampa Bay area and Montreal.

“I made a big mistake when I tried to promote the plan for our twin town,” said main owner Stu Sternberg. “I should have known better and I’m sorry. I’m here to tell the fans the sign won’t open.”

Sternberg spoke directly to fans on Ray’s radio pre-game show on Tuesday evening. He said he wanted to speak up after the news of the sign caused a lot of “negative reactions” over the weekend.

He also said he still wanted the Rays to have a “split season plan” in 2028 after the team’s lease at Tropicana Field expired.

“I love this team, and I love baseball. And I would like to believe that anyone who has followed the team has known since we’ve been here that the future of the Rays organization and keeping that team in Tampa Bay for generations to come.” something “that burdens me all the time. And has been for years. With the town twinning plan, I know we’ve found a way to do just that, “Sternberg said.

The Rays will host the American League Division Series games starting Thursday, October 7th.

The post Rays owner withdraws from plans to display the Montreal sign at Tropicana Field first appeared on Daily Florida Press.

from Daily Florida Press https://dailyfloridapress.com/rays-owner-withdraws-from-plans-to-display-the-montreal-sign-at-tropicana-field/

No comments:

Post a Comment