Sunday, July 25, 2021

“Not My Son” campaign calls for an end to violence in St. Petersburg

"Not My Son" campaign calls for an end to violence in St. Petersburg

St. Pete residents are fed up with gun violence

Evan Axelbank reports

Efforts in St. Pete to slow gun violence through the “Not My Son” campaign focused on the Mirror Lake and Central Avenue areas on Friday night.

Betty Smith marched between four groups handing out flyers and putting up signs urging nonviolence in the city.

“I have a grandson, he’s 11, I have a granddaughter, he just turned two,” said Smith. “I don’t want this to happen to you.”

The “Not My Son” campaign, organized by Rev. Ken Irby, came about because the city was in the midst of a disturbing wave of murders. This year there were 21, compared to 15 in the whole of the previous year. Five have come alone since June.

CONNECTED: Citing growing concerns about gun violence, HCSO creates a new team

Law enforcement agencies in the Bay Area are cracking down on gun violence

Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister announced a new team dedicated to street violence and non-fatal shootings, and St. Pete Police say they will target gun violence of all kinds.

A 37-year-old hair salon owner was killed this week. Another man was also injured in a shootout that week.

“When I see it I just say, ‘Have mercy,'” said Smith. “Something has to be done and I don’t know what it will take.”

The Friday event also featured COVID-19 vaccinations and a voter registration table.

“We need to be more thoughtful and diverse in our approach,” said Irby.

They hope that this is the good that will one day replace the bad.

The post "Not My Son" campaign calls for an end to violence in St. Petersburg first appeared on Daily Florida Press.



from Daily Florida Press https://dailyfloridapress.com/not-my-son-campaign-calls-for-an-end-to-violence-in-st-petersburg/

No comments:

Post a Comment