Wednesday, July 21, 2021

COLLECTION CORNER | Naples Florida weekly

Left: This Chiquita Trinkets doll was found in its original box (below).

Left: This Chiquita Trinkets doll was found in its original box (below).

Expect the unexpected.

These are some of my words to the wise men in the treasure hunt.

And they have served me well over the past few weeks.

I love to be surprised by what I see, whether it be visiting a store or browsing boxes in my own garage.

This room, a 525 square foot treasure trove likened to Alibaba’s cave, brings out the unexpected all along, from Roseville Pottery in a box of collectibles kept from my monthly lineup at the West Palm Beach Antiques Festival. to vintage tools and various curiosities that the previous owners of my house left behind and which have not yet been discovered, even though I’ve lived there for 20 years.

It was the same at the Hospice Resale Shop in Juno Beach.

I saw a zippered plastic bag containing three dolls – one that appeared to be a 1950s Vogue Ginny, another that was a small souvenir from Eastern Europe, and another 1950s plastic doll dressed in tropical clothes. The bag was $ 15 so I decided to buy it.

As it turned out, the doll I thought was a Ginny was actually a look-alike from Virga, another 1950s company whose Play Mates doll is a wrestler for Ginny. She’s cute and is probably worth what I paid for the three.

The third, this tropical-themed doll is likely the winner. It’s made of hard plastic and reminds me of the “Dress-Me” dolls they used to sell in the craft departments of Woolworth and other five-and-dime stores. But this one is nicely painted and her costume with a full skirt and fruit basket on her head is reminiscent of Carmen Miranda.

Wonder of wonders, it came with its original packaging that says it was marketed by Chiquita Trinkets of Miami. The label on her box names her “Mini Ba Nana” and the front bears a postcard with other “South of the Border” dolls, none of which appear to be, neither in ethnicity nor in their costume. I couldn’t find much about the company other than that it existed in the 1950s, Miami’s initial heyday as a hub of Latin America and beyond. Yet it is a souvenir of another time and place.

Above: This Heisey Lariat caramel candy dish is a rarely seen piece. PHOTOS BY SCOTT SIMMONS / FLORIDA WEEKLY

Above: This Heisey Lariat caramel candy dish is a rarely seen piece. PHOTOS BY SCOTT SIMMONS / FLORIDA WEEKLY

Around the time I thought I had seen everything there was to see in the Heisey Glass Co. lariat pattern, I happened upon a candy bowl I’d never seen in the pattern.

Lariat is a modern pattern for Heisey – the Ohio company made the pattern from 1942 until Heisey closed in 1957. It gets its name from the loops that surround its edges.

And the dish I got for $ 3 at St. Matthew’s House Thrift Store in Naples was actually referred to as the “caramel candy dish.” I laughed when I saw this designation in an online reference, and then thought about it for a moment – the 1940s and 50s were a much more formal time, so it stands to reason that a glassware company would make a number of candy specialties, just as well as handle dishes and dinner, lunch, salad, bread and butter and canape plates.

I sent it as a gift to a friend in New York who is a fan of the pattern and it was a piece he had never seen before. It’s not particularly valuable – most online sources list dishes in the $ 20-25 range – but to find a seldom seen piece? That’s priceless.

Share your treasures!

Please email a clear photo or two to ssimmons@floridaweekly.com and tell me how you acquired the piece and what makes it interesting or special. |

See similar https://naples.floridaweekly.com/articles/collectors-corner-122/

The post COLLECTION CORNER | Naples Florida weekly first appeared on Daily Florida Press.



from Daily Florida Press https://dailyfloridapress.com/collection-corner-naples-florida-weekly/

No comments:

Post a Comment