Friday, July 23, 2021

Nina King from Tampa takes over Duke King

Nina King from Tampa takes over Duke King

DURHAM, NC – Duke University promoted Tampa-born Nina King to sporting director in mid-May. King, a graduate of Gaither High School, has been with the department since 2008. She is the sixth female and the third colored woman to lead a Power 5 department. Now she wants to use her role to inspire other women and minorities to follow her example.

“I hope that little girls and boys who look like me aspire to be big, dream big, and achieve their dreams at some point in their careers,” King said via video chat. “Representation is important. You need to see people who look like you run the department.

King said it was important that people not be hired because they are women and / or minorities. The only way to prepare people for success is to hire them because they are qualified.

“I don’t want to be a sign of it. I’ve worked hard. I have a degree in accounting. I have a law degree. I’ve spent my career in sports,” said King. “I am just a woman and a colored man.”

King has already had a busy summer. Aside from the Blue Devils post-season tournaments, men’s basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced that he is retiring after the coming season.

“I probably shouldn’t be saying my reaction on TV,” joked King. “He earned the right to tell us when he was ready to step down. But this year is going to be great. We will celebrate Coach K and his legacy and everything he did not just for Duke University … but.” for college basketball and for the sport in our world. “

King, 42, is still a huge Buccaneers fan. She said it was nice to see former Duke cornerback Ross Cockrell earn a Super Bowl ring with her home team. She also fires up the Lightning, owned by Jeff Vinik, a Duke alum.

The post Nina King from Tampa takes over Duke King first appeared on Daily Florida Press.



from Daily Florida Press https://dailyfloridapress.com/nina-king-from-tampa-takes-over-duke-king/

No comments:

Post a Comment